Flood overlays

Flooding can affect your development plans. Where flood extents are known they are included in planning schemes as planning overlays.  The implications of overlays on planning proposals are different, depending on which local government area your property is in. To understand how an overlay effects your development or planning proposal, please contact your local council.

You can also generate a planning property report free of charge for any property in Victoria, which will tell you if your property has a flooding overlay.

Information about zones and overlays is available through the relevant Planning Scheme via Planning Schemes Online.

We also maintain a large collection of flood information and provide advice on flooding, via our free flood advice service. Free advice can be requested by completing and submitting this flood advice request form.